Lesson 5 – Pondering over Allah’s Creation
Marvelling over the power of our Creator through His creation is a potent spiritual booster. It is one of the most effective ways of recognising Allah Ta’ala.
In many verses of the Quran, Allah ‘Azza wa Jall, asks of man to look at the creation for the purpose of recognising Him.
My Beloved Father, Hazrat Moulana Haroon Abasoomar saheb (rahimahullah) had this noble habit of seeing Allah in His creation.
- From lush pastures to colourful arrangements of flowers, to the birds, animals, the ocean and fish, he would always be awestruck at the Qudrat (power) of Allah, always reciting loudly:
Allahu Akbar (Allah is the greatest) Or Subhanallah (Glory be to Allah).
He would encourage those with him to do the same: marvel at Allah’s qudrat, and recite Allahu Akbar/Subhanallah.
- When going on a journey, one intention that he would always make was: to see the power of Allah in His creation (Mushahada-e-Qudrat).
- He would keenly visit well-kept gardens or orchards just to appreciate the different types of flowers and trees. The huge ocean, the countless grains of sand or even just a single leaf would grab his attention, while often reciting the verses of the Quran that discuss those topics.
- His fascination with animals was such that he frequently asked friends to research information about them in encyclopaedias or from the Internet. He had stacks of Print-outs with such information. Among the many, were the blue whales, the cows, goats and sheep, the bees and ants, different parts of the human body etc.
- Moulana (rahimahullah) once visited a farm in Port Elizabeth that had several dozens of breeds of chickens! Keenly observing Allah’s Qudrat. The huge number of the animal [& other] species was of much interest to him, as it showed how Great a Creator our Allah is.
إن ربك هو الخلاق العليم
‘Verily your Rabb, He is the Knowing Creator.’ (Surah Hijr, verse: 86)
- Together with marvelling at Allah’s creation privately, he also spoke about it in his lectures.
Attention to the perfection in the detail of Allah’s creation
- He was often taken aback by the affection that Allah Ta’ala placed in the mothers of the animal kingdom for their young.
- Similarly, child psychology would amaze him and he would admire the understanding that Allah granted children.
- Hazrat (rahimahullah) would quote about one of his Egyptian teachers from the madrasah in Karachi, that on one occasion a very elderly person who was still healthy, extremely fit and active walked past the classroom. The Ustad remarked:
! سُبحانَ مَنْ أعطاه الصحة
‘Glory be to the One (Allah) who granted this man such wonderful health!’
It was as though everything he saw reminded him of Allah Ta’ala. Such recognition (Ma’rifat) of Allah is attained by chosen slaves of Allah.
- On these occasions, Hazrat Moulana (rahimahullah) would frequently quote the famous Arabic couplet:
وفي كل شيء له آية، تدل على أنه واحد
‘Every single thing has a sign of Allah’s Oneness.’
It’s definitely there, for those who want to see it…
May Allah Ta’ala fill the grave of Hazrat Moulana Haroon saheb with noor and grant us the ability to follow in his footsteps.
Download the PDF here